Saturday, May 2, 2009

Perspective on Christianity

Christianity has become a tricky thing nowadays confusing even myself at times. Their are different denominations of Christianity, beliefs, traditions, organizations, and unfortunately a vast majority of people believe Christians to be hypocrites and there are those of us who are.

I've always felt I've known a lot about the Bible and religion in general, what is wrong, what is right etc. I read the Bible when I was 17 all the way through word for word, but I still missed so much of it even to this day! I sheltered myself from anything that has potential for sin including Myspace and relationships with others. Which is a very wrong thing to do. Because that's not what Jesus did. He deliberatly put himself around sinners in order to save them.

I always thought I was saved because I believed in Jesus, and what He did for me. But until recently I didn't understand why He did what He did. I knew he died for our sins....but what is sin....what did we do that was so bad? Take a look at the 10 Commandments Exodus 20:1-17 and Deut. 5:6-21. Paul said, sin is transgression of the law.

I've always thought I was a good person. I've never drank, smoked, or done what normal teenagers or other guys my age have done. I look at the 10 Commandments and still think I'm a pretty good person. But Matthew chapter 5 was brought to my attention recently. Jesus said whoever hates another has committed murder and whoever looks with lust has committed adultery in his heart.....

In the Gospel, Jesus also says to follow these two commandments: to love the Lord your God with all your heart, mind, soul and strength and to love your neighbor as yourself. He didn't abolish the 10 Commandments he fulfilled them. I always thought, "well Jesus came so we don't have to follow them anymore, that doesn't apply today"....but he lists all of them but one throughout the Gospel and the two Jesus did tell us to follow covers those of the Old Law. Now, I think of the 10 Commandments as a guide on how to love and honor God. I'm not saying we're going to hell if we break the 10 commandments as Christians. What I did not realize is I'm going to hell if I don't trust in Jesus Christ and REPENT against all sin. Acts 3:19, 17:30, 20:21, 2 Peter 3:9

We are to be in this world and not of it. I have been keeping myself out of it completely since I was pretty much a teenager. Which is why I don't understand or have ever felt the need for fellowship of others.

I thank God that things have been put into perspective for me and now I can fully appreciate what He did for me through his Son. I have hopes of becoming an evangelist. I've heard the question, "what if I'm born again and I sin"? Friends, there is a big difference between running into sin and falling into sin. That is why certain denominations/cults think they have to have man made traditions and laws to say that good acts or deeds is what guarantees salvations. How do you even measure that....it blows my mind honestly. If you steal someones cheerios how many hail mary's do you have to do to still go to Heaven or please God? Jesus paid the ultimate price for us....to say that anything save us from our sins besides Him is demeaning His purpose!

Don't get me wrong, I love everyone, I have relatives who think this way. But people need to realize we are saved by grace, the blood of Jesus, not by acts or works. That is just so sad to me if anyone thinks otherwise. It's simply unbiblical.

Ephesians 2:8-98 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast.

That's the hardest, but most simple thing to understand. No good acts or deeds of this world guarantees salvation. That is our works, the fruits of our spirit, not man made traditions. It's repeated numerous times throughout the Bible. I'll talk more about this later. If you have any questions please message me.

Thanks for reading!

God bless,

Joey

No comments:

Post a Comment