Sunday, January 17, 2010

Remembering Town East mall...

Town East mall is a favorite witnessing spot of mine since it is a place that I grew up with. Today I wanted to write about some of my experiences with the mall growing up and how I experience it now as it serves as a great spot to witness to the lost.

I grew up close to Town East mall where my mom and dad would take me several times a year for shopping, fun, eating, or a place that I would just hang out with my friends as a teenager. I remember going into a store called Babbages with my dad where I discovered what computer games were when I was about 6 years old. I owe much of my ability to type to playing those old games where you had to type "open the door" to literally open a door with the character, lol. Now you can do all sorts of things with a slight hand movement when playing games!

Back then Town East had primarily been considered a safe place to be, more upscale stores, and an overall more family oriented environment. I remember being devastated as a child and teen as each landmark store was shut down and replaced by something as silly as a rug store or oversize clothing store. I remember when they closed the arcade, Suncoast, KB Toys, Disney store, and most importantly the BOOK STORE. There actually used to be two! There is no doubt that it has changed due to the culture, internet sales, and the economy of the city and those surrounding it over the years. About a month ago a stand owner in the mall was shooting at someone for stealing jewelry from them IN THE MALL. Of course there are hours where it is more dangerous than others.

Maybe it's just me, but I remember when there were not any stands in a mall. Now there are dozens of them on the 1st and 2nd floor and you can literally be pulled into an advertisement pitch if you have not figured out how to get out of it or avoid it. It has happened to me, but at least I got a free hand washing! I know it sounds like I am complaining, but please understand I am writing my observances of a place where I grew up over the years. It is still family oriented to an extent. They have a train that little ones can ride on as well as a playground.

Are all of these changes good or are they bad? I suppose it depends on the person, but with everything you can usually find a way to find the good in it OR from it. Although I cannot speak the necessary 3 or 4 languages to talk to everyone who works there (need the real gift of tongues!) it has provided me great opportunities to spread the gospel of Jesus Christ to people of different religious and cultural backgrounds using tracts or what little English was understood.

The stands make GREAT places to leave tracts for those working them or simply handing them to them when they try to hand you something. There are areas where groups of teens, who are "bird watching", gather where I have been able to have great conversations with. There are a lot of guys up there who are also grouped together who like to act and look tough for the ladies, friends, or themselves...I'm not really sure which one, but when presented with the law of God it cuts through their act many times and there is genuine conviction.

Town East mall has become a great spot to witness to the lost. Is it a place I will try to relive some of those memories for my own children, probably not, but perhaps one day they will be able to spread the gospel of Christ with me up there. I am a little sad at the way the mall has become, but encouraged that I can find the good from the opportunities it provides for the gospel to be heard or read.


May God bless you and yours!

In Christ,

Joey

1 comment:

Lance said...

Enjoyed the blog. Great outlook regarding how to work with the change that is taking place.

Either accept it, or do something about it. I quite like your choice.

Post a Comment