Wednesday, October 14, 2009

We are what we eat...

I’ve been thinking about this lately. Although it’s somewhat true I want to look at it more on a spiritual level. Of course if we eat apples all the time that doesn’t mean we will turn into an apple, but we will reap the benefits from the nutrition of it, thus being healthier. Just like if we eat cookies, cake, and ice cream all the time we will reap the consequences.

I think this is really a big issue for many, especially those in the Christian world. I know it seems like I’m always attacking modern American Christianity, but I assure you that isn’t the case. I love my fellow brother sisters in Christ and those who are not, or those who think they are but am not. I do this out of love and am trying to be a messenger of truth because I do care and I am a Christian.

Repentance has a lot of different meanings slapped on it to suit certain people’s needs and beliefs. Ultimately it means a change of mind, to turn from something to something else. If we are changing our mind about Jesus Christ being the one true Son then that means we are turning from sin and turning towards Him. That produces a change of heart and a change of lifestyle because of the world we live in and our sinful nature. A lot of people out there like to deny this because they want to hold on to their old sinful lifestyles, but say they are a Christian. That may fool some in the world for a while, but not God.

When I am talking about we are what we eat I mean we are what we consume. I examine myself all the time and ask you to do the same. What do you watch on TV, what music do you listen to, or what kind of magazines and books are you reading? What does the majority of your money and time go to? I’m not perfect and never will be so I have to make changes all the time in order to glorify God more and not give into selfish desires. Repentance is constant and a gift from God that He grants to us to fight the desires of our sin-nature. As Christians we should always be growing.

I used to say, “Well, I guard my heart against stuff like that and it’s just entertainment”. Guess what, God does not ignore our entertainment. Our bodies, physically, mentally, and spiritually are affected by what we consume. It may not be drastic, but over-time there is subtle changes whether we see it or not. If you are having trouble keeping devotionals, praying, or reading your bible then examine what you are substituting for it. What are you spending that time on instead? That’s why the bible says, “And if your eye causes you to sin, pluck it out. It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into hell!” That’s how severe it is. Some things we just need to plain cut out of our life.

Satan works in subtle ways. He is the father of lies. There is nothing better than coming to knowing Jesus Christ, but when that happens we are enlisted into a battle against our flesh, the world, and Satan. Sin is designed to be attractive! I plead with you to be careful with what you consume. Those who are interested and devote time to the worldliness are going to become more like the world and further from God. Those who are interested and devote time to the word of God and righteousness are going to grow closer to Him.

If this doesn’t matter to you or the world is more important than God then I strongly question your salvation.

2 Corinthians 13:5
Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in you—unless, of course, you fail the test?

Thank you and God bless you and yours!

In Christ,

Joey

www.needGod.com

No comments:

Post a Comment