Saturday, March 13, 2010

Be Careful What You Pray For...

All week I have been praying for an encounter that is different, that I would really be able to reach someone who was evident of needing ministering or the gospel. I know many of the people I talk to are in need, but a lot of times I don't see any opposition. Trust me, I know there is, but I don't see it much. I don't want opposition by any means, but it does let you know that you are in the battle. The battle of truth that is and I believe that evidence is needed at times.

I felt very nervous driving to my usual spot last night and even as I walked towards my destination when I got there. I couldn't really explain the feeling since I am usually semi-comfortable in the environment. As I walked around I saw a group of what appeared to be a group of late teenagers or early 20's smoking way off by themselves by the lighthouse. I was reluctant at first, usually I am with my first encounter, but I prayed and proceeded on. Some of the individuals looked like the typical "I hate the world and am desperately trying to make a statement with my appearance." As I gave them the tracts I asked them what do they think is in the after-life.

This turned into a more than a half hour conversation so I'll try to sum it up. Two of the guys were pretty quiet until they wanted to chime in agreeing with their "Pagan" friend. I say that because the girl that was with them told me that she was Pagan and she can't say who goes where or if there is even anything. The other boy who spoke up a lot was raised baptist and was currently on a philosophical journey for truth. He claimed that because someone told him at a church camp that all Islams would go to hell and that he was baptized twice without any results he no longer embraced "Christianity." He was a very intelligent individual and I can say that I genuinely enjoyed our conversation together. He actually wound up defending Christianity to an extent to the girl who insistently claimed that if she can't see something, she can't believe it.

I did get through the good person test, but some of these people were really searching for answers and really wanted to get their jabs in at Christianity. I told her that the majority of our country's Christians are hypocrites. She used that against me saying that how can I say that about anyone. That is when I explained that Jesus Christ says in the Bible that you will know them by their fruit. If you disagree with me then look at who is in our office and what our media consists of. There are missionaries from other countries now trying to evangelize our country! She also said that the Bible has been twisted over time and compared it to the DaVinci Code. For everyone who says fictional books can't influence...well I'm telling you right now that they can and they do. This isn't the first time I have had someone use the DaVinci Code to try to disprove the validity of the Bible.

I normally don't get into apologetics much, but there is a rare time and a place for it in witnessing and this was it. The girl was getting really frustrated when I explained that there is evidence of a Creator because since there is a creation there must be a Creator, we have a God-given conscience and God's word. There also has to be truth because there has to be a standard of morality, but there is always a point in this kind of conversation where those who attack the Bible are pinned into a corner when the discussion of morality comes into place. Her defense was that she didn't believe we have a soul and that something didn't have to create everything. Her friends saw the foolishness of this claim as well. I really felt bad for her because I didn't believe she didn't believe there wasn't a God. I really think she hated Him for something. It was like watching and listening to a disobedient child.

For a minute they were trying to say there isn't a God because of Haiti and "bad things" that happen. I told them that what we think is good may not be God's idea of good and that is something we cannot understand or even accurately question. The bottom line is the whole human race isn't deserving of anything but punishment for sinning against a holy righteous God. No one can say they know why Haiti happened, but God will get glory regardless. I know that sounds harsh, but He is sovereign and His plan is perfect. I believe some forms of "natural disasters" are a deliberate act of God, result of sin, or just plain result of the environment, but again the bottom line is that God is in control and He owes nothing to us. They actually grapsed this concept.

She agreed with most of what I said until it personally applied to her. The most popular words of the conversation was, "well I believe" or "to me". The facts of the Bible I gave her didn't mean anything to her because of her same claim to that it is twisted. She hadn't studied it, but in God's word where it says, "the fool says in their heart there is no God" constantly ran through my mind. She left after we discussed morality with her friend, but two of the others stayed.

The philosophical guy stayed with his quiet buddy. He shared his background with me regarding Christianity and his journey for truth. I emphasized greatly there is only one way and that way is Jesus Christ. In regards to his remarks about Muslims going to hell, I told him that anyone who doesn't repent and put their trust in Christ is going to hell because of sinning against God. It's not popular, but it's biblical no matter what beliefs we hold to or what kind of picture of God we try paint in our heads. He told me he has an open mind and will think about our discussion and really enjoyed it. He also said that he disagrees with the views of his "Pagan" friend and that she has a lot of misconceptions.

Overall I believe it was a great encounter. They have some serious stuff to think about regarding their eternal destination. Most of the other conversations I had through out the night were the same as usual and went really well, but there was one that really stuck out besides that one. I approached a group of about 8 young teenagers who I had have given tracts to some earlier who were now sitting down. They had recruited a couple more people in their group. I asked if they read the back of them yet and they said no. I asked if I could explain what they were and they said yes. We started talking about the law of God and this one girl starts blurting out, "well God forgives, God forgives" over and over again. I said, I agree with you, but there is a condition and we must realize what that is. When we started discussing hell she blew up. She stated that we don't have to follow the 10 commandments and they don't apply because they were written by a man...

I asked where she got her information and she said her pastor told her that. She told me she goes to a certain church called New Life so I'm going to check it out. I told her that a man did not write the 10 commandments it was God. Then she told everyone that it was a man. I'm sorry, but I told her and everyone else that is a deliberate lie. A sweet little quiet girl said, "God gave Moses the 10 Commandments". The other girl got angrier when I asked if she is familiar with the Bible and she said she didn't believe in the Bible, but she trusted her pastor. She said I don't need to read the Bible and that I need to go to church.

Unfortunately, that is how many people are, but they don't say it. Many put their trust in a man over God's word, she was just bold about it. Her claim was that God will forgive everyone if they just ask not saying anything about Christ.

When I asked where the church was she got mad and said that I'm a stranger and she wouldn't tell me and then started attacking my character for not going to a church and mocking me. She didn't like the fact that I said I was 25 and had been to 5 churches growing up. I said that's fine, I was just asking because I wanted to find out more information about it, but I asked if she was a Christian. She replied by saying yes and asked me why. I asked her if she is a Christian then why is she being so hateful along with being hateful to someone who is trying to share God's word and the gospel with her. Her friends kept apologizing for her, but they said she is just "like that". After that she said let's go...I guess she was there leader. I even told her that I'm sorry that she is getting so upset and that wasn't my intention, but I was simply trying to share God's word with her because I really do care.

I sincerely hope that the pastor doesn't hold to those awful beliefs she claimed. I will contact the church just to make sure though. To me this girl represented a lot of what is going on today, but I couldn't believe her hateful manner. It was ridiculous and those surrounding her noticed to. I asked if anyone around wanted to stay and listen and some of them did and she walked off mad. Thankfully I was able to share the gospel with them and during the middle of it she walked back and gave me the tract saying, "I don't need this". I simply replied by telling her to have a nice night. Hopefully the Lord will do a work on her heart. I apologized to the remaining individuals for the ugliness that was going on and that what she was telling them wasn't truth. They said it was okay and that they stayed because they wanted to hear God's word.

The encounter left me shocked and a little down on myself, but the words of Tony Miano's "Don't Quit" ran through my head as I went back to my car. So I turned around and went back and talked with 2 more groups of people. The last group I talked to was awesome. One of the girls went to a Christian school the last two years and didn't know what the gospel was and all 3 of them thought that being baptized saves you.

I believe they understood the severity of their sin and the position they were in. Their facial expressions changed and eyes were watering as we went through. I pray that it was genuine. At the end of the conversation I asked if they understood what I was saying and they agreed. The guy asked me if he was still going to hell after we went through the gospel. I told him that is between you and God. You have to give up on your own self and cry out to Him. Whatever you love more than God is what you need to turn from. Repent and put your trust in Jesus Christ alone.

I was very blessed by the last conversation and was grateful for the Holy Spirit and the words of Tony Miano's "Don't Quit".

Basically, I got what I prayed for. I was praying for something different and I got it. I prayed for the Lord to do something big and He did it. I have never met two individuals who were so opposed to the things of God in the manner that they were.

May God bless you and yours!

In Christ,

Joey

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

God does answer prayers, not always like He did this time though. Sounds like a great encounter. It's a fine line though,,,sometimes your uneasiness may be caused by Satan trying to keep you from reaching someone. But there may be occasion when it is the Holy Spirit speaking to you trying to keep you safe. Pray and listen carefully…I am still your "earthly father" I pray for you everyday and I want you to stay safe!

Matthew Martin said...

I love reading your blog man. I have always seen your 'fishing' as really awesome and I would love to experience that sometime, if you don't mind I would love to join ya in doing it one day..just to see and here how people react and for the overall experience.

-Matthew Martin
http://www.facebook.com/itsmgm

Post a Comment