Friday, September 4, 2009

Shenanigans and scientology

I decided to go the harbor Thursday night during a jazz concert at the amphitheater while my wife and son ran errands.

This post is long, but it was an eventful night : )

Everything started out slow as I walked around praying and taking in the beautiful sites. Honestly, it's hard for me to work up the courage to start talking to random people, but they aren't random at all in God's eyes. I usually sit on a bench for about 10 minutes praying for courage, compassion, and that hearts would be unhardened and receptive to the gospel. And most importantly for God to be with me as He always is. After that I'm good to go!

I then noticed two girls walking around, one wearing a large Shenanigans sign around her neck advertising the business, and the other handing out flyers I believe. I walked up and handed them a couple of million dollar bill tracts. They replied by saying "oh people leaves these at our work and people don't like them."

I asked, "Why don't they like them?"
"Well someone said the part about sin makes it seem like people can just sin and live however they want and then everything is just okay if we say a prayer" (This perspective is usually shared by people who turn their back on Christianity due to the modern prosperity gospel, hypocrisy, catholocism or other works-based religions)

I explained that the message shows us how we all have sinned and why we need to be saved.

I then shared with them the law and the gospel. I explained what the gospel really is and why it is good news. As we went through the law I believe their hearts were convicted. They were extremely nice girls. They thanked me and said they were really glad I stop and talked to them. The girl with the sign even gave me a hug and was grateful for our conversation. I truly believe the Lord did a work in their hearts. They seemed very responsive, convicted, and inspired to embrace repentance and trust in Christ.

As I moved on I handed out tracts to individuals and couples walking by as they were on their way to the concert. Next, I saw a group of about 6 teenage guys smoking and talking near the fountain I approached them and gave them a million dollars, they thought it was neat and thanked me. The conversation went like this:

"Hey guys, I wish this was real for y'all, but the message on the back is."
"Do you guys have a religious background or anything?"
They replied, "not really..go to church sometimes."
"Oh okay, well I'm not with a church or anything, but I was wondering what you think happens after death or if you guys even think about that kind of stuff."
"Yeah, we do alot"
"Really? You guys are lot smarter than me when I was you're age! Well, do you believe in heaven and hell, that kind of stuff or something else?"
"Yeah, we believe in heaven and hell."
"Well what do you think you have to do to go to heaven or to hell?"

Two of them agreed you have to accept Christ into your heart. And the others weren't really sure. When I asked about hell they said the kind of people who go there are the ones who don't ask for forgiveness. I asked them if they were sure that's how it works and they replied that they didn't really know.

"Do you want to know for sure? I'm just going to ask a few questions, but you've got to be honest."
"Sure"

I then went through the law, the Ten Commandments, and they learned what their sin was. I believe some of them realized it was serious despite how innocent the world views it and how we have all broken His law. They were getting kind of bummed, and was like..."so we're all doomed"?

"No, I'm going to give you the good news now, it's great."

This is when they're older friend showed up who kind of acted like the leader, joker, of the group. He had a cool English, I believe, accent and was a super-nice guy. I gave him a million dollar bill and caught him up to where we were. Another person showed up and sat down as well. He told me someone just talked to him about Jesus, but he wanted to hear me out anyways, because I really hadn't got there yet.

He took over the conversation for his friends. They all saw it as an opportunity for a cigarette break as he started, but they stayed and listened. He had told me was into scientology and considers himself a scientologist.

I asked, really, so do you believe in evolution? He said yes.

"I believe in science. That science is superior. The bible is just another book."

"Oh okay, I think science is interesting as well, but did you know that their are scientific facts in the bible that science had wrong?"

"Really, and what is that?"

"Well the bible told us the world is round whereas science believed it to be flat for years. The bible also tells us that we are to run our hands through running water as science believed doctors to wash their hands in still water which proved to be wrong."

"I didn't know that, but it's still just a book. What about what muslims believe."

"Well the book is the inspired word of God, it's 66 books compiled over 1400 years by around 40 authors from different time periods without any contradictions to the content and prophecies."

I then explained what muslims believe and how it is wrong, biblically and because of their works based salvation with the denial of Jesus Christ being the son of God.

"Listen, I'm telling you this because I care. I don't know you, but hell is real and so is heaven. If I'm wrong then you cease to exist. If I'm right and the bible is right then you have to face God on judgement day. Does that concern you at all??"

"No, because I'm just going to live my life to the fullest and do what I do. My parents are both Christians and I respect what you believe and what you are doing."

"Man, just consider what I'm saying. It doesn't matter what you believe. The bible says Jesus Christ is the only way and I don't want you to suffer hell."

"I appreciate that, but I believe in science."

"So do you believe in evolution?"

"Yes, I believe everything formed from gasses and we did as well."

His friends started looking at him real funny.

"Dude, are you serious? You believe we came from gas and that we were an accident? You mean more than that and I know you're smarter than that."

My tone developed more into a plea as I saw this young man not wanting to acknowledge truth because of his love for his lifestyle.

"Yes, I believe that and I'm just going to live life to the fullest. I don't believe the bible, but I respect that you do."

I pleaded with him some more and eventually someone later came up and started talking to him. His friends learned forward and said to me, "so what's the good news?"

They were really adamant about me telling them the gospel because of where we had left off, hell.

Alright, I know you guys have heard about Jesus Christ and what He did. You've heard of Christmas, right?" They were all familiar with Jesus as most people are. "Well that is what He saved us from so that we may have everlasting life. We have to trust in Him and repent, meaning turn away from our sins. It has nothing to do with church, hail-maries, confession to a pastor or a priest. Christianity is a relationship with Jesus Christ. That is what differentiates it from other "religions". Do you get what I'm saying."

They agreed and said they were really going to think about it and that they would read John in their bible. I don't if they really would, but I continued to tell them that there is nothing more important than their eternal salvation and I truly cared for them.

Once I was done talking to them the other guy wrapped up with my scientologist friend.

I then asked him, "what did he talk to you about?"

He was talking about how he was saved and Jesus. (I overheard the conversation, but I wanted to ask anyways.)

Man, that's the third person tonight who has shared Christ with you. This is not a coincidence.

"Well how many of you are out here?"

"I have no clue, I'm here by myself I don't even know who this guy or the other guy was. Seriously, just think about what we talked about. If there is a millionth of a chance I'm right wouldn't it be smart to at least consider or look into it. Check out John in your bible, please."

We shook hands and he thanked me and that was that.

I then talked to guy who was sharing his testimony. He was a very nice guy from the Ethiopian church near Dallas. I explained to him what I was doing and the importance of sharing the gospel biblically and gave him words of encouragement. He thanked me and got my number and we were both off in our seperate directions.

It started to lightnening a lot, which looked really cool. Lightening is one of those things I look at and am in awe of God's creation. About that time my wife was leaving to pick me up.

As I was waiting I saw a group of three teenagers. I gave them tracts and started talking with them. The conversation went really well, but they didn't have much to say. The boy in the group said that people have told him about his sin before and said he was going to hell when I asked him what happens after death.

I asked if anyone had ever given him the good news before. He said no and just thought he was going to hell. I then took them through the gospel and it was just an awesome experience as I could see the contrition and realization in their eyes. I thanked them for listening and told them to check out John in their bible.

In all my conversations I explained that God is so good that he will punish all sin. He is a holy, loving, and just God. People usually say it's about asking for forgiveness and trying to live a good life, but it's about realizing what we are and what God did for us and who He is.

If you read all this please pray for all those in these conversations. Unfortunately, I forget many names and tend do it often when I talk to groups of people. But the Lord knows our intentions and directions of our prayers.

May God bless you and yours!

Joey

No comments:

Post a Comment