Sunday, December 27, 2009

A knocking at my door...

This happened back around June. I had typed up the encounter, but never posted it on here. So here it is! If you are with one of these groups I ask that you please read this with an open mind.

Ever since I started studying biblical evangelism after I was born again I had been praying and telling my wife that I hope some Jehova's witnesses or Mormons come to our door. Why? Because it is an excellent evangelism opportunity. Jehova's witnesses ultimately believe that Jesus was Michael the archangel and deny the trinity, that He was God in the flesh. Mormon's (LDS), believe that Jesus was Satan's brother and that anyone can become their own god in the after-life... thus denying the trinity as well. Both of them are also a works based religion and do not believe in being saved by grace through faith.

If you are in one of these organizations and do not know this then PLEASE research your own religion and find out the facts. What is hard is that both of these use the same terminology as Christians, but it IS NOT Christian! So you can see why I prayed for this opportunity. Last week, my prayer was answered! Here is what happened.

My wife and I have the summers off since we are both educators and I heard the doorbell ring one afternoon. I felt a bit excited because I thought this could be it! I grabbed a million dollar bill tract off my bookshelf and ran to the door to look through and I saw an older man, and his wife with bibles in hand!

My prayer had been answered. I prayed that the Holy Spirit would lead me and guide our conversation as I continued the whole way through. Prayer helps so much! The man began by asking me if I wondered why there is a church on every corner of almost every street and started through his routine as his wife stood by. This man was extremely knowledgeable of his scripture. He asked very good questions and tried to show me different verses from his bible. I asked if it was a Watch Tower bible and I said no thank you. The Watch Tower bible, or known as the New World Translation, is a bible produced by an anonymous committee who shapes the scriptures to their desired beliefs. He then proceeded to show me verses from a KJV, but I didn't know if that is really what it was or not so I said no thank you and told him I wanted to talk about the Word in it's entirety.

I then told him I had listened to him and I would now like to ask him a few questions. I asked him if he considered himself to be a good person. When he discovered he is a lying, thieving, adulterer at heart, he said, "well wasn't Paul"? He didn't get the point right away. This got me on a rabbit rail unfortunately and he turned the conversation back to his routine by quoting scripture with lots of "what ifs" and "this could possibly mean this". I was very patient with his words and scripture references that he took grossly out of context. Through constant prayer I noticed his wife had contrition in her eyes and she walked away about halfway through.

The conversation lasted around 2 hours. Many of the questions where "what if" questions as I said before. He asked me where would my baby son go if he died. I told him the bible gives one reference to possibly heaven, BUT it does not say for sure. God does not tell us. Apparently, their organization has shaped scripture and their doctrine in order to answer the unanswerable question. He told me that my son would be raise up in sometimes during the end times and live a whole other life...getting to make a choice to accept God or not. There is great danger in doing this because emotions get in the way of truth many times.

He also asked me what church would Jesus go to if He came back. I said something along the lines of that Christ already has His church and that is the body, not the building. Many organizations like this like to make the claim that they are the first church. Claiming that you are the first church, does not make you the right, only, or biblical church.

I was fortunate enough to give him the Law and the Gospel biblically 2 or 3 times to a point without him trying to bring up someone else again. I ended our conversation by saying I cared about him and was glad he came by. I then gave him the tract and told him that Jesus Christ is the only way to Heaven and there is a real Hell now despite what you want to call it.

The conversation was much more extensive, but when you have knowledge of the true law and Gospel it really makes things much more simple when talking to those who are all about their intellect. Their patrol cars drove by 7 or 8 times to check on him during the duration of our time. Please pray that his wife and friends hearts may be unhardened to what was said, that their eyes would be open, and that they are receptive to the gospel message on the tract.

I have never seen the organization return to our neighborhood since then. Maybe our house or neighborhood was "marked".

Remember, it's always okay to say "I don't know, but what I do know is this"...and go into the law and Gospel! Our God is truly an awesome God. For more information on how to deal with these kind of encounters their is a great book called, The School of Biblical Evangelism that talks about these things.

If you are a Jehova's Witness or Mormon, I love you, but please do some research to see if what I am saying is true because their is NOTHING more important than your eternal salvation. It pains me because this man was not sure of his.

If you are a Christian and this happens to you, answer the door! Share the law and the gospel, use your testimony of how you became a born-again Christian, or hand them a good biblical gospel tract!


May God bless you and yours!

In Christ,

Joey

www.needGod.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

All we can do is plant the seeds and let the Lord do the rest.

Post a Comment